Mixpanel

 photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-ABOUT.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-RECIPES.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-TRAVELGUIDES.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-ESSENTIALS.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-CONTACT.png

Friday, March 21, 2014

Sweet Potato and Apple Hash

Cooking dinner is often one of the highlights of my day, but even I come home exhausted some days after work. Those nights, I often try to piece together some form of a meal with the odds and ends I have at home. Typically, it's some form of grilled sandwich or quesadilla--but sometimes you need a change.  

Looking around my kitchen, I noticed some sweet potatoes that were about to go bad and eggs sitting on the top shelf of my fridge. With the addition of an apple and some shallots, I created a lovely sweet potato and apple hash that I topped with an over easy egg

While this recipe is great for dinner, it would also make a unique brunch dish! Just think how great this would be after an awesome Zumba or yoga class...

Sweet Potato and Apple Hash

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and then diced
1 tablespoon, butter
1 apple, diced into small pieces
1 shallot, chopped
3 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil a pot of water, and then add in the sweet potatoes once the water hits a rolling boil.  Cook the sweet potatoes for four to six minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Drain the sweet potatoes.
In a medium sized pan, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the sweet potatoes, apple, shallot, and thyme to the pan, and sauté until the hash begins to caramelize and turns brown and crispy around the outside.  Add a dash of salt and pepper to season the hash.
Serve with an over easy egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio