Mixpanel

 photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-ABOUT.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-RECIPES.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-TRAVELGUIDES.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-ESSENTIALS.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-CONTACT.png

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Roasted Asparagus

Grocery shopping in DC is stressful. Living in California, I used to love the peacefulness of grocery shopping, the trivial yet enjoyable nature of picking out food for the week. Here in DC, grocery shopping is quite the ordeal.

First, I walk about fifteen minutes to get to a grocery store. If I remember to go shopping before Sunday, there might be decent looking produce at Safeway, Harris Teeter, or Trader Joe's. At Trader Joe's, I have to prepare myself for the check-out line that wraps around to the entrance of the store and is at least twenty minutes long. And if I make the crucial mistake of shopping in the late afternoon on a Sunday, then I am definitely heading to Whole Paycheck Foods for produce. After filling my reusable bags with produce, dairy, and meat for the week, I begin to make my trek back home.

Back in California, grocery shopping was a chance for discovery--for uncovering new ingredients to add in to my repertoire. Here in DC, I just want to get into the grocery store and leave as soon as possible. I started following strict shopping lists so that I could get in and out as quickly as possible. Usually, I am pretty good about making a list and sticking to it. 

This past weekend though, I got distracted by some asparagus. It just looked so good, and I realized that I had not eaten asparagus in so long (probably because it's a spring vegetable, and it's currently only the beginning of March...). I decided to buy the asparagus, even though it wasn't on my list, and I wasn't quite sure how I was going to cook it. My family typically cooks asparagus out on the BBQ but due to the lack of warm weather (and a real BBQ grill) here in DC, I realized that wasn't going to be an option.  I decided to stick with a traditional roasted asparagus recipe--it was delicious, straightforward, and quick. 

Hope this inspires you to pick up some asparagus next time you are at the market--it's just the start of spring, so there will be lots of beautiful asparagus at the market over the next few months!

Roasted Asparagus

1 lb of asparagus
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Cut off the tough part of the asparagus (last two inches or so).
Roast in the oven for 25 minutes. The asparagus should be tender yet still crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio