Mixpanel

 photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-ABOUT.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-RECIPES.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-TRAVELGUIDES.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-ESSENTIALS.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-CONTACT.png

Monday, March 10, 2014

Back to Basics: Oatmeal

             
Poor oatmeal. I often think of it as a neglected breakfast food. At a weekend brunch, it seems plain and ordinary compared to waffles, pancakes, and eggs. During the week, it can be difficult to actually take the time to sit down and eat a hot breakfast before leaving work.

However...oatmeal is actually one of the most perfect weekday breakfast foods. I make a large pot of oatmeal Sunday night, and then simply store it in the fridge during the week. I can easily pack a to-go container of oatmeal for days when I have early morning workout sessions and want to eat breakfast at work instead. If I'm at home, I quickly heat up the oatmeal before making myself some coffee

I fluctuate between toppings--some days I prefer pecans, berries, and a little bit of greek yogurt on top of oatmeal, and on other days, nothing but bananas and brown sugar will do. One thing never changes though. I always, always, always use McCann's Steel Cut Oats. It's simply the best oatmeal around.

Oatmeal

Makes approximately four servings

1 cup dry McCann's Steel Cut Oats
4 cups water
Pinch of salt

Heat four cups of water in a pot until it is briskly boiling. Sprinkle in the oatmeal, stirring well.
When the porridge is smooth and begins to thicken, reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The oatmeal should then be ready to serve with whatever toppings you see fit!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that oatmeal is the forgotten breakfast! For me, the extra 10 min it would require to prepare a hot bowl of oatmeal is too much in the mornings, so I have become a huge fan of overnight oats- I eat it almost every day. I prep it at night with cinnamon and almond milk, and then add agave, nut butter, and fruit in the mornings. I've heard how amazing steel cut oats are, maybe I'll give your batch-technique a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overnight oats are great! I like mine just cooked in water overnight, then I add fresh fruit and greek yogurt in the morning. The recipe above creates a much creamier oatmeal which I prefer. I'm going to have to try adding some peanut or almond butter to my oatmeal!

      Delete

 

design + development by kelly christine studio