Mixpanel

 photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-ABOUT.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-RECIPES.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-TRAVELGUIDES.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-ESSENTIALS.png photo HilaryStoneSoupHeader-CONTACT.png

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Back to Basics: Buttermilk Pancakes

Basic Pancake Recipe I'm firmly a morning person. I grew up with a dad that spoiled me forever with delicious homey weekend breakfasts--biscuits, oatmeal, scrambled eggs...the whole (breakfast) enchilada. I never grew up sleeping in on weekends, and even to this day I have a hard time sleeping in past 8am.

A few weekends ago, I woke up on the earlier side, and all I wanted to do was fall back asleep. I laid in bed for about an hour, willing myself to go back to sleep. I eventually gave up,  made a big cup of coffee, and started breakfast. Good thing Z's in charge of the dishes.

Last weekend, all I wanted for breakfast were classic buttermilk pancakes. This basic pancake recipe is a classic--it is simple and easy to make, but sure to impress your friends at brunch!

Basic buttermilk pancakes are really just a canvas for all the delicious things you can add to them--we added bananas and chocolate chips per Z's request, but I really love blueberries in my pancakes when they are in season.

Enjoy!

Basic Pancake Recipe Basic Buttermilk Pancake Recipe

From Martha Stewart

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups buttermilk
6 tablespoons of butter, melted and divided

Preheat the griddle to 375 degrees.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, and 4 tablespoons of butter. Make sure not to overbeat it--the secret here is to have lumps!

Brush butter onto the griddle.

Using a large ladle, spoon out approximately 1/2 cup of batter into a circle on the griddle. Repeat until the griddle is full, with pancakes about 2 inches apart. This is the time to scatter berries, bananas, chocolate chips, etc!

When pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around edges, flip over. Cook until golden brown, about 1 minute.

Repeat with remaining batter. Serve pancakes warm with butter and syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio